Dublin Church of Ireland cleric, the Rev Gerry Sproule, recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of his Ordination on 26th June 2010. Brought up in Co Wicklow, he joined LOL No 1377 in the Dublin and Wicklow District in 1945. Currently a member of Listullycurran LOL No 616 and Deputy District Chaplain of Lower Iveagh District No 1, he stood down as Grand Chaplain of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland in December 2009 and nominated Rev. Stanley Gamble as his successor. Since then, Grand Lodge recognised Gerry’s service by making him Honorary Grand Chaplain of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland.
Gerry was ordained for the ministry on 26th June 1960 and after serving as curate of Monaghan Parish for 19 months, he became Rector of Cleenish Parish in Bellanaleck village, close to the shores of Lough Erne and later Ballinamallard Parish (Co Fermanagh). After some time with the Bible Churchmen’s Missionary Society (BCMS) he returned to parish work as Rector of St Aidan’s (Sandy Row, Belfast) and more recently as Rector of the grouped parish of Saint John the Evangelist, Magherally and Christ Church, Annaclone from which he retired in July 1994.